Department of English
The Department of English is propelled with highly qualified staff committed to bring about a significant change among students that leverages their presentation and employability in the world outside. Through literature and language the faculty of the department opens to the students chronicles of history and philosophy nurturing their morals and value system. It believes in the culture of learning beyond the classroom subjecting each student to a plethora of events and activities. Immense opportunities like literary competitions and drama become a part of the teaching methodology with a view to make the students acquire the status of ‘Global citizen with a Human Touch.’ Teaching techniques like critical reading, analytical reasoning, lucid writing are central to the mission of the Department and the college. In addition to the teaching of the syllabus, the department conducts various programs and activities that are targeted to improve the communication skills and personality of the students. The Department also organizes workshops, seminars, literary activities, mock interviews, and literary games and trains students in soft skills. The English Department is robust and unique precisely because we bring together every part of English Studies in one space. The interdisciplinary and intradisciplinary scrutiny and teaching makes valuable contributions to multidisciplinary initiatives in the humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences.
Objectives of English Department
- To provide the ability to study, compare and enjoy classical English literature.
- To provide ability to appreciate aesthetics in classical and contemporary literature.
- To provide an ambit to gain knowledge of History, culture and of a particular period.
- To acquire the knowledge of various literary terms
- To relate classical literature with current issues for comprehensive understanding.
- To appreciate multiculturalism across the globe through literature
- To make them gain knowledge beyond their comfort zone i.e. politics, science, technology etc.
- To enrich articulatory skills.
- To make students gain knowledge about the evolution of language.
- To make them acquire skills of contemporary language through literature.
- To nurture interest in writing.
- To nurture values such as patriotism, ethical behaviour, relationships through various contents.
- To enable them to gain fluency and proficiency in receptive & productive skills.
- To enable them to acquire application oriented skills vis-a-vis creative writing, technical writing etc.